Thursday 27 October 2011

When the fight is too close.

Fighting so hard for something so close to you is tough. It's easier if you want it less, if there is less at stake or if you can give up, walk away and get over it. But when it's your family and what's at stake feels like everything and the circumstances are so unfair, so steeped in the enemy it's hard to recognise the Jesus in those who instigate. They are formed in the image of the same God I worship fervently and have the same capability/potential to carry his glory, spread his love and advance his kingdom as I do. So yet it becomes complicated as life ever does. I am called to love them, to forgive them, to believe for them and all the rest of it yet fight the injustice, believe for my family, expect miracles. It seems so irreconcilable. These 2 extremes seem so at odds that my mind cannot comprehend which is more important. Where do I start? How do I pray about this? How do I honour my parents fight for my family and at the same time love the people who make life so consistently terrible for them? How do I forgive people when I know they are not yet done with the evil they wish to invoke?

And that's where I come back to basics. The essence of the gospel, the whole point of Jesus is love. God IS love. And so love must be at the centre of all I do. my actions, my battles, my triumphs, my words, my deeds, my thoughts.

What this means for this situation and probably countless others I have yet to figure out. This is as far as I've got but figured it was a pretty good starting place.

No comments:

Post a Comment