Thursday 8 March 2012

Where Do Broken Hearts Go?

We’ve all been hurt at some point, rejected, laughed at, mocked, sometimes unintentionally. But sadly, sometimes relationships break down and fail and when that happens it can feel like your whole world is caving in, like your heart had been put through a shredder and someone’s literally turned your life upside down. So where do we go from there? How do we recover from that desperation, that feeling of such hopelessness where confusion and pity seem to reign sovereign over any logic or reason. Do we ever fully recover? Or do we just gloss over it all and move on?

I’ve had my heart broken and the anger and bitterness I felt was matched only by the fear, sadness and loneliness. I could not say for definite that I felt everything was ever going to be ok again. For some people having a parent walk out on them or growing up in a broken home will do this. For others the heartache will be prolonged or delayed until a romantic relationship fails to live up to expectation or you lose someone but sooner or later most of us will experience a broken heart to some degree.

Luckily, I can say with some confidence that it can and will be ok but it takes a great deal of hard work, true grit, determination and faith. When the ground was ripped from beneath me and my knees were buckling I didn’t want to try, I felt that I shouldn’t have to work hard to repair something I didn’t break, I did not want even to look after myself but eventually I found living bound by fear and anger was no way to live at all. I learnt that I was faced with a decision: the decision to continue to break down or break free.

I have been brought up in Christian household but can’t say I honestly relied upon or truly felt the power of Jesus until I needed his healing, until I needed him to step in and do what I was unable to and what no one else could. It was Jesus that saved me, that broke the chain of endless self-pity and drama. It was the cross that bore the weight of my burdens when I could not. It is his sacrifice that understood and answered the pain I was feeling and in the midst of my tear stained face it was His face I saw smiling back at me loving me despite. His love is complete and absolute. It is over and above, far beyond comprehensible and can preside over any circumstance and situation. He can be what ex-boyfriends or missing fathers, divorce, or death cannot. He has saved us and can lift us from our immediate surroundings and elevate us to a heavenly status. But we must make a decision to accept him and accept what he wants to do for us. We need to have faith and reach out like the woman in Matthew chapter 20 who says to herself, “If I could just touch the hem of his garment I would be healed”. Her faith was key to her healing and Jesus stops in his tracks and says “Take heart daughter. Your faith has healed you” It took Jesus but a moment to heal her but there’s no telling how long it took her to build up the courage to reach out. How often do we feel like that? Feeling at our most vulnerable it is actually when we are strongest. Step out in faith. I promise you you won’t be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment